Inspired by the chowder served at the Try Pots in Moby Dick, I assembled this New England clam chowder recipe. I serve mine with sour cream and crackers.
- 3 10oz cans of chopped or baby clam
- 4 tbs butter
- 1/3 cup salt pork cut into small strips
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup onions, diced
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 4 russet potatoes, diced
- 3 cups whole milk
- Celery salt
- Black pepper
- Chili pepper flakes
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Add the butter and salt pork to a pot on medium-high heat.
- Add celery, carrots, and onions. Cook until onions are translucent.
- Add potatoes, milk, and garlic.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, stirring often, until potatoes are soft (about 20 minutes).
- Add 2 cans of clams along with the juice.
- Drain the juice from a third can, and add only the clams to the pot.
- Simmer for another 3 minutes, continuing to stir.
- Season with celery salt, black pepper, and chili flakes to taste.