Monument Valley is best mobile puzzle game I've played.
The cleverness of the games' puzzles, its ethereal music, and the minimal story told through text bubbles reminded me the platform puzzle game, Braid, which has long been a best-seller.
The goal of each level of Monument Valley is to find a way to the other side of the map, but the games maps are all built on optical illusions. For example, from one angle, the map may appear to be to disconnected pieces of river, making it impossible to get to ne from the other. However, if you rotate the camera slightly, you can see that the structure becomes an M. C. Escher-style infinite waterfall, and while you look at it from this angle, you can move through it as if it were that paradoxical structure. This premise of being able to move through the map in different ways depending on which angle you see it from, forces you to keep in mind two or three different geometries as you move obstacles to make your way through each map.
The culinary world is not without its twisted shapes either. Inspired by the confusing layouts of the Monument Valley maps, I combined a couple of my favorite weird shaped foods to create this recipe: the pineapple upside down pretzel.
- 9 & 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 tbs sugar
- 1 packet active dry yeast
- 22 oz flour
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- 1/2 lb butter
- 1/2 lb confectioner's sugar
- 1 can of pineapple chunks in pineapple juice (you will need the juice)
- pinch of salt
- Mix 1 & 1/2 cup warm water, 1 tbs sugar, and yeast in a large bowl and allow to proof for 10 minutes until a foam appears on top.
- Add flour and knead into dough.
- Leave dough in bowl and cover with a damp towel for 50 minutes to allow the dough to rise.
- Add 8 cups of water and all of the baking soda to a pot and bring to a boil.
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Cut dough into 8 pieces, stretch each piece into a 2 foot long string, and fold into a pretzel shape.
- Boil each pretzel in baking soda mixture for 30 seconds.
- Bake pretzels in 425 degree oven for 12 minutes.
- Add butter, confectioner's sugar, and 1 tbs of pineapple juice to a pot and stir to form frosting as the butter melts.
- After allowing pretzels to cool for 5 minutes, frost your pretzels and top with pineapple chunks and a tiny pinch of salt.
This recipe and reccomendation was featured inEpisode 7: Avengers Age of Ultron