G. Willow Wilson's Ms. Marvel comics show Kamala Khan suddenly gaining superpowers and taking on a secret identity as she also navigates between her parents Pakistani culture and her friends' New Jersey culture.
As I tried to create a recipe for these comics, I realized I know very little about Pakistani food and almost as little about New Jersey. Instead, I opted for a thematic link, creating a recipe that combined my comfort food roots with something new to me. As grilled cheeses have become my specialty, I created this poutine grilled cheese, combining some of the best of American and Canadian comfort foods.
- 1/2 potato cut into shoestring fries
- 2 slices of sourdough bread
- brown gravy
- cheese curds
- cheddar cheese
- Add shoestring fries to deep frier at 325 degrees for 1 minute.
- Turn frier up to 375 degrees and continue to cook fries until extra crispy.
- Melt margarine in nonstick pan at medium heat.
- Build sandwich by adding cheddar, then fries, cheese curds, gravy and a second layer of cheddar.
- Fry sandwich on one side until golden brown.
- Add more margarine and flip sandwich until second side is golden brown.